Facts about Hounslow
History of Hounslow
There are several historic references to Roman camps on or close to the Heath. The military connection has continued with both Oliver Cromwell and James II using it as a military encampment and the construction in 1793 of the Cavalry Barracks. The barracks were extended with Beavers Lane Camp and from 1914 to 1920 the Heath became Hounslow Heath Aerodrome. In 1902 the Hanworth Road drill hall was built for the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, The Middlesex Regiment.
Positioned on the Bath Road, Hounslow was centred around Holy Trinity Priory founded in 1211. The priory developed what had been a small village into a town with regular markets and other facilities for travellers heading to and from London. Although the priory was dissolved in 1539 the town remained an important staging post on the Bath Road.
Hounslow is a large suburban town, and the principal town of the London Borough of Hounslow in west London, England. Hounslow is identified as a major metropolitan centre in the London Plan. It is located near Heathrow Airport and is about 10.7 miles west-southwest of Charing Cross, 12 miles south-east of Slough, 3 miles south of Southall, 2 miles north-west of Twickenham, and 6.5 miles north-east of Staines-upon-Thames.
The area has a large shopping centre, called the Treaty Centre, which adjoins its high street and many restaurants, cafés and small businesses, many of which are associated with product assembly, marketing, telecommunications and Heathrow Airport. It is connected to Central London by South Western Railway’s Hounslow Loop Line and Hounslow station, and by the London Underground’s Piccadilly line through three stations – Hounslow West, Hounslow Central and Hounslow East.