Facts about Ealing
History of Ealing
Archaeological evidence shows that parts of Ealing have been occupied for more than 7,000 years Iron Age pots have been discovered in the vicinity on Horsenden Hill. A settlement is recorded here in the 12th century amid a great forest that carpeted the area to the west of London. The earliest surviving English census is that for Ealing in 1599.
Settlements were scattered throughout the parish. Many of them were along what is now called St. Mary’s Road, near to the church in the center of the parish. There were also houses at Little Ealing, Ealing Dean, Haven Green, Drayton Green, and Castlebar Hill. The Church of St. Mary’s, the parish church, dates back to the early 12th century. The parish of Ealing was divided into manors, such as those of Gunnersbury and Pitshanger.
Ealing is a district in West London, England, located 7.5 miles west of Charing Cross. Located within the London Borough of Ealing, it is one of the borough’s seven major towns. Ealing, covering the W5 and W13 postal code areas is the administrative center of the borough, is identified as a major metropolitan center in the London Plan.
Until the urban expansion of London in the late 19th century and early 20th centuries Ealing was a rural village within Ealing parish. Improvement in communications with London, culminating with the opening of the railway station in 1838, shifted the local economy to market garden supply and eventually to suburban development. By 1902 Ealing had become known as the “Queen of the Suburbs” due to its greenery, and because it was halfway between city and country.