Facts about Twickenham
Excavations have revealed settlements in the area dating from the Early Neolithic, possibly Mesolithic periods. Occupation seems to have continued through the Bronze Age, the Iron Age, and the Roman occupation. The area was first mentioned in an 8th-century charter to cede the area to Waldhere, Bishop of London, “for the salvation of our souls”.
Bubonic plague spread to the town in 1665 and 67 deaths were recorded. It appears that Twickenham had a pest house in the 17th century, although the location is not known. 1659 saw the first mention of the Twickenham Ferry, although ferrymen had already been operating in the area for many generations. Sometime before 1743 a “pirate” ferry appears to have been started by Twickenham inhabitants.
Twickenham is a suburban town in southwest London, England. It lies on the River Thames and is 9.9 miles west-southwest of Charing Cross, 2 miles south-east of Hounslow, and 2.6 miles north-west of Kingston upon Thames. Historically part of Middlesex, it has formed part of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames since 1965.
Twickenham has an extensive town center and is famous for being the home of rugby union in England, with hundreds of thousands of spectators visiting Twickenham Stadium, the world’s largest rugby stadium, each year. The historic riverside area is famous for its network of 18th-century buildings and pleasure grounds, many of which survive intact.