Facts about Wembley
In 1837, the London and Birmingham Railway was opened from London Euston through Wembley to Hemel Hempstead, and completed to Birmingham Curzon Street the following year. The changing names of the local station demonstrated the increasing importance of the ‘Wembley’ name. ‘Sudbury’ station opened in 1845, renamed as ‘Sudbury and Wembley’ in 1882, renamed as ‘Wembley for Sudbury’ in 1910, renamed as ‘Wembley Central’ in 1948, at the time of the Olympic Games.
The village of Wembley grew up on the hill by the clearing with the Harrow Road south of it. Much of the surrounding area remained wooded. In 1547 there were but six houses in Wembley. Though small, it was one of the wealthiest parts of Harrow. At the dissolution of the monasteries in 1543, the manor of Wembley fell to Richard Andrews and Leonard Chamberlain, who sold it to Richard Page.
Wembley is the principal town of the borough of Brent in northwest London, England, about 8 miles west-northwest of Charing Cross. Wembley has formed a separate civil parish from 1894 and was incorporated as a municipal borough of Middlesex in 1937. In 1965, the area merged with the Municipal Borough of Willesden, which was separated by the River Brent, to create the London Borough of Brent.
The center of Wembley was originally at the small village of “Wembly Green” accompanied by the Barley Mow public house in the 18th century. This survives today as The Green Man inn located on the steep Wembley Hill Road. The railways of the London and Birmingham Railway reached Wembley in the mid-19th century.