Facts about Teddington
There have been isolated findings of flint and bone tools from the Mesolithic and Neolithic periods in Bushy Park and some unauthenticated evidence of Roman occupation. However, the first permanent settlement in Teddington was probably in Saxon times. Teddington was not mentioned in Domesday Book as it was included under the Hampton entry.
Teddington Manor was first owned by Benedictine monks in Staines and it is believed they built a chapel dedicated to St. Mary on the same site as of today’s St. Mary’s Church. In 971, a charter gave the land in Teddington to the Abbey of Westminster. The Hampton Court gardens were laid out in 1500 in preparation for the planned rebuilding of a 14th-century manor to form Hampton Court Palace in 1521 and were to serve as hunting grounds for Cardinal Wolsey and later Henry VIII and his family.
Teddington is a suburb in South West London in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. It is also in the historic county of Middlesex. Teddington is on a long meander of the Thames between Hampton Wick and Strawberry Hill, Twickenham.
Mostly residential, it stretches from the river to Bushy Park with a long high street of shops, restaurants, and pubs. There is a suspension bridge over the lowest non-tidal lock on the Thames, Teddington Lock. At Teddington’s center is a mid-rise urban development, containing offices and apartments.