Facts about Fulham
History of Fulham
The manor of Fulham is in medieval documents stated to have been given to Bishop Erkenwald about the year 691 for himself and his successors in the See of London. In effect, as is geographically clear, Fulham Palace, for nine centuries the summer residence of the Bishops of London, is the manor and parish of Fulham.
In 879 Danish invaders, sailed up the Thames and wintered at Fulham and Hammersmith. Raphael Holinshed wrote that the Bishop of London was lodging in his manor place in 1141 when Geoffrey de Mandeville, riding out from the Tower of London, took him, prisoner. During the Commonwealth the manor was temporarily out of the bishops’ hands, having been sold to Colonel Edmund Harvey.
Fulham is an area of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham in southwest London, England, 3.6 miles southwest of Charing Cross. It lies on the north bank of the River Thames, between Hammersmith and Kensington and Chelsea, facing Wandsworth, Putney and Barn Elms, with the London Wetland Centre in Barnes.
In the 19th-century there was glass-blowing and this resurged in the 21st century with the Aronson-Noon studio and Zest gallery in Rickett Street that fell victim to the so-called “Earl’s Court Regeneration” scheme in 2012. Lillie Bridge Depot, a railway engineering depot opened in 1872, is associated with the building and extension of the London Underground.