Facts about Maida Vale
History of Maida Vale
In 1742 a lease for future development was signed by Sir John Frederick. His daughter later married Robert Thistlethwaite, a Hampshire landowner, whose Hampshire holdings including Widley and Wymering are commemorated in Maida Vale street names.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Maida Vale was a significant Sephardic Jewish district to the extent that an 1878 magazine report reported that it was commonly called “New Jerusalem”. The 1896 Spanish & Portuguese Synagogue, a Grade II listed building and headquarters of the British Sephardi community, is on Lauderdale Road.
Maida Vale is a residential district consisting of the northern part of Paddington in West London, west of St John’s Wood, and south of Kilburn. It is also the name of its main road, on the continuous Edgware Road. Maida Vale is part of the City of Westminster, 3.1 miles north-west of Charing Cross. The area has many large late Victorian and Edwardian blocks of mansion flats.
The area is bounded by Maida Avenue and the Regent’s Canal to the south, Maida Vale Road to the northeast, Kilburn Park Road to the northwest, and Shirland Road and Blomfield Road to the south west: an area of around 1 square kilometer. It makes up most of the W9 postal district.