Facts about Hammersmith
History of Hammersmith
Hammersmith originally meant “(Place with) a hammer smithy or forge”, first recorded in 1294. Hammersmith is in the historic county of Middlesex. It was the name of a parish, and of a suburban district, within the hundred of Osselstone. In the early 1660s, Hammersmith’s first parish church, which later became St Paul’s, was built by Sir Nicholas Crispe who ran the brickworks in Hammersmith.
In 1745, two Scots, James Lee and Lewis Kennedy established the Vineyard Nursery, over six acres devoted to landscaping plants. During the next hundred and fifty years the nursery introduced many new plants to England, including fuchsia and the standard rose tree. Major industrial sites included the Osram lamp factory at Brook Green, the J. Lyons factory.
Hammersmith is a district of west London, England, located 4.3 miles west-southwest of Charing Cross. It is the administrative center of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham and identified in the London Plan as one of 35 major centers in Greater London. It is bordered by Shepherd’s Bush to the north, Kensington to the east, Chiswick to the west, and Fulham to the south, with which it forms part of the north bank of the River Thames.
The area is one of west London’s main commercial and employment centers and has for some decades been a major center of London’s Polish community. It is a major transport hub for west London, with two London Underground stations and a bus station at Hammersmith Broadway.