Facts about South London
Emergence and growth
South London began at Southwark at the southern end of London Bridge, the first permanent crossing over the river, with the early development of the area being a direct result of the existence and location of the bridge. Southwark was first known as Suthriganaweorc, the fortress of the men of Surrey, mentioned in the Burghal Hidage as part of a military system created by Alfred the Great to defeat the Great Heathen Army of the Vikings. Southwark was also known as the Borough due to be it is an incorporated (nationally represented) Borough from 1295.
From 1550 to 1899 it was administered as part of the City of London and referred to as the ward of Bridge Without. The opening of Westminster Bridge and other subsequent bridges to the west encouraged growth in the south-west, but only Tower Bridge was built to the east of London Bridge, so south-east London grew more slowly, at least until the Surrey Commercial Docks were built.
South London is the southern part of London, England. Situated south of the River Thames, it consists of the boroughs of Bexley, Bromley, Croydon, Greenwich, Kingston, Lambeth, Lewisham, Merton, Richmond (in part), Southwark, Sutton and Wandsworth. Originally emerging from Southwark, first recorded as Suthriganaweorc, meaning ‘fort of the men of Surrey’. From Southwark, London then extended further down into northern Surrey and then western Kent.