Facts about Northolt
History of Northolt
Archaeological evidence suggests that the settlement’s origin was an 8th-century Saxon village close to Northolt Manor behind the present Court Farm Road. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Northala, part of the Elthorne Hundred in the historic county of Middlesex, England. In 1066 the lord was Esger the constable, and in 1086 was Geoffrey de Mandeville.
1795 saw parliamentary approval for the construction of the Paddington Arm of the Grand Union Canal. The route from Hayes to Paddington passes through Northolt, opening on 10 July 1801. The Great Central Railway line opened in 1906, passing through Northolt on its way from Marylebone to High Wycombe.
Northolt is a town in West London, England, spread across both sides of the A40 trunk road. It is 11 miles west-northwest of Charing Cross and is one of the seven major towns that make up the London Borough of Ealing. It had a population of 30,304 at the 2011 UK census. Northolt is in the north-western corner of Ealing, bordering the boroughs of Harrow and Hillingdon.
The center of Northolt lies at an elevation of about 130 feet above sea level. It is hillier in the north whereas the south is lower, about 115 feet. The town is mainly suburban, with some industrial land to the east, large green parts such as Lime Tree Park and Rectory Park, and semi-rural land to the west.