Facts about Harrow Weald
History of Harrow Weald
The word Weald is Old English in origin, meaning woodland. It was recorded as Waldis in 1303 and welde in 1382, but the name Harrow Weald is not recorded until 1553. It was then part of the great Forest of Middlesex. Harrow Weald is near Bushey Heath, Stanmore, Wealdstone, Headstone and Hatch End. It is in the HA postcode area.
The Harrow Weald campus of Harrow College and Harrow Weald Cemetery is at the northern edge of the built-up area. All Saints churchyard and its extension adjoin this cemetery and their most famous interment is of Leefe Robinson, a pilot who was awarded the Victoria Cross.
Harrow Weald is the northernmost part of the town of Harrow in Greater London, England. It is formed from a leafy 1930s suburban development along with ancient woodland and forms part of the London Borough of Harrow. The 2011 census showed that in the Harrow Weald ward, 53% of the population was white.
Historically in Middlesex, Harrow was a municipal borough before it became a part of Greater London in 1965. The modern town of Harrow is what was historically called Greenhill, a former hamlet at the foot of the 408 feet Harrow Hill settlement. With the arrival of the Metropolitan Railway in the 19th century, the centre of Harrow moved to Greenhill and it grew as the unofficial “capital” of the Metroland suburbia in the early 20th century.