Facts about Sloane Square
Sloane Square History
Peter Jones department store designed by Reginald Uren of the firm Slater Moberly and Uren in 1936 and now a Grade II* listed building on account of its early curtain wall and modernist aesthetic, pioneering in the UK for a department store. The building was carefully restored 2003–2007 with internal upgrading in line with the original designs by John McAslan and Partners.
100m from the Square in Sloane Terrace, the former Christian Science Church was built in 1907 and converted in 2002 for concert hall use as Cadogan Hall. It is now one of London’s leading classical music venues. In 2005 revised landscaping of the square was proposed, involving a change to the road layout to make it more pedestrian-friendly. One option was to create a central crossroads and two open spaces in front of Peter Jones and the Royal Court.
Sloane Square is a small hard-landscaped square on the boundaries of the central London districts of Knightsbridge, Belgravia, and Chelsea, located 1.8 miles southwest of Charing Cross, in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. The area forms a boundary between the two largest aristocratic estates in London, the Grosvenor Estate and the Cadogan. The square was formerly known as ‘Hans Town’, laid out in 1771 to a plan of by Henry Holland Snr. and Henry Holland Jnr.
The largely retail at ground floor Kings Road with its design and interior furnishing focus intersects at Sloane Square the residential, neatly corniced, and dressed façades of Sloane Street leading from the Victoria Embankment promenade to the small district of Knightsbridge. On the northern side of the square is the Sloane Square Hotel.