Facts about Barons Court
History of Barons Court
The tracks through Barons Court were first laid on 9 September 1874 when the District Railway opened an extension from Earl’s Court to Hammersmith. When the line was constructed the area is now known as “Barons Court” was open fields and market gardens to the west of the hamlet of North End and there was no call for a station between North End, Fulham, and Hammersmith stations.
However, by the beginning of the 20th century, the area had been developed for housing and, on 9 October 1905, the District Railway (DR) opened a station to serve these new developments and in preparation for the opening of the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway, then under construction.
Barons Court is a London Underground station in West Kensington in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London. This station serves the District line and the Piccadilly line. Barons Court is between West Kensington and Hammersmith on the District line and between Earl’s Court and Hammersmith on the Piccadilly Line and is in Travelcard Zone 2.
East of the station, the Piccadilly line descends into the tunnel towards Earl’s Court and the District line continues in a cutting to West Kensington. The station is the last open-air stop for eastbound trains on the Piccadilly line until Arnos Grove and has a cross-platform interchange with the District line.