Facts about Harlington
History of Harlington
The earliest surviving mention of Harlington appears to be in a 9th-century charter in which land at Botwell in Hayes was said to be bounded on the west by “Hygeredington” and “Lullinges” tree. The first of these must be Harlington; the second has not been identified. The boundary between Hayes and Harlington, which may thus have been defined by the date of this charter. It was later marked by North Hyde Road and Dawley Road, but Dawley Road may not have followed the boundary before the 18th century.
By 1834 the select vestry employed a paid assistant overseer. In 1824 a surgeon for the poor of Cranford and Harlington was appointed by the vestries of both. Their later co-operation saw the establishment of Harlington’s National School jointly within 1848, and its cottage hospital jointly with Cranford and Harmondsworth in 1884.
Harlington is a district of Hayes the London Borough of Hillingdon and one of five historic parishes partly developed into London Heathrow Airport and associated businesses, the one most heavily developed being Harmondsworth. It is centred 13.6 miles west of Charing Cross. The district adjoins Hayes to the north and shares a railway station with the larger district, which is its post town, on the Great Western Main Line.
Harlington Library is towards the north of the village/district. The village contains six public houses: Captain Morgans’, The Great Western, The Pheasant, The Red Lion, The Wheatsheaf, and The White Hart. There are two churches, a Baptist church and a Church of England church, St Peter & St Paul’s. Schools include Harlington School.