Facts about Kensal Green
History of Kensal Green
Originally part of one of the 8 manors within the district of Willesden, Kensal Green is first mentioned in 1253, translating from old English meaning the King’s Holt. Its location marked the boundary between Willesden and the then Chelsea & Paddington, on which it remains today. It formed part of one of 10 manors, most likely Chamberlayne Wood Manor, named after Canon Richard de Camera.
In the 15th century the then Archbishop of Canterbury Henry Chichele, acquired lands in Willesden and Kingsbury. In 1443 he founded All Souls’ College, Oxford and endowed it with the same lands in his will. As a resultant, most of Willesden and Kensal Green remained largely agricultural until the mid-1800s, well into the Victorian era.
Kensal Green is a residential area with good transport links to central London as well as North, West, South and East London. Surrounding districts include Willesden to the north, Harlesden to the west, Queens Park to the east and Ladbroke Grove/Kensal Town to the south. As well as the Kensal Green ward, the area takes in the wards of Dalgarno, parts of Queens Park and College Park & Old Oak.
Kensal Green is an area in north-west London, in the London boroughs of Brent and Kensington and Chelsea. The surrounding areas are Harlesden to the west, Willesden to the north, Brondesbury and Queens Park to the east and Notting Hill and White City to the south.