Facts about Hampton
History of Hampton
The Anglo-Saxon parish of Hampton converted to secular use in the 19th century included present-day Hampton, Hampton Hill, Hampton Wick, and the hamlet of Hampton Court surrounding Hampton Court Palace which together is called The Hamptons. The combined population of the Hamptons was 37,131 at the 2001 census.
In his national gazetteer written between 1870 and 1872, John Marius Wilson described Hampton Wick as being technically a hamlet; the real property of which was worth almost as much as the main settlement. He furthered that the total area was 3,190 acres and the exact respective figures were £14, 445 excluding Hampton Wick, of which £300 was in gas works; inclusive of Hampton-Wick: £25,037, equivalent to £2,348,405 in 2019.
Hampton adjoins Bushy Park on two sides and is west of Hampton Wick and Kingston upon Thames. There are long strips of public riverside in Hampton and the Hampton Heated Open Air Pool is one of the few such swimming pools in Greater London. The riverside, on the reach above Molesey Lock, has residential islands, a park named St Albans Riverside, and grand or decorative buildings. Including Garrick’s House and the Temple to Shakespeare; also on the river is the Astoria Houseboat recording studio.
Hampton Ferry provides access across the Thames to the main park of Molesey and the Thames Path National Trail. The Thames Water Hampton Water Treatment Works covers a large expanse of the town in the southwest along the river Thames. The site is one of the largest capacity water treatment facilities in Europe producing 1/3 of Londons daily drinking water supply.