Facts about Bayswater
History of Bayswater
In 1720, the lands of the Dean and Chapter are described to be the occupation of Alexander Bond, of Bear’s Watering, in the same parish of Paddington. It may therefore fairly be concluded that this portion of ground. Always remarkable for its springs of excellent water, once supplied water to Baynard, his household, or his cattle; that the memory of his name was preserved in the neighborhood for six centuries.
The land now called Bayswater belonged to the Abbey of Westminster when the Domesday Book was compiled; the most considerable tenant under the abbot was Bainiardus, probably the same Norman associate of the Conqueror who gave his name to Baynard’s Castle. The descent of the land held by him cannot be clearly traced: but his name long remained attached to part of it.
Bayswater is an area within the City of Westminster in West London. It is a built-up district with a population density of 17,500 per square kilometer. It is located 2.5 miles west-northwest of Charing Cross, between Kensington Gardens to the south, Paddington to the north-east, and Notting Hill to the west.
The streets and garden squares are lined with Victorian stucco terraces, mostly now subdivided into flats and boarding houses. Properties range from apartments to small studio flats. There are also purpose-built apartment blocks dating from the inter-war period as well as more recent developments. A large council estate, the 650-flat Hallfield Estate, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun and now largely sold off.