Facts about Brentford
History of Brentford
The name is recorded as Breguntford in 705 in an Anglo-Saxon charter and means ‘ford over and the ‘-ford’ suffix is Old English. The ford was most likely located where the main road crossed the river. New Brentford is recorded as Newe Braynford in 1521 and was previously known as Westbraynford.
Brentford is the first point on the tidal portion of the River Thames which was easily fordable by foot. Partly for this reason, it has been suggested that Julius Cæsar crossed the Thames here during his invasion of Britain in 54 BC, and the Brentford Monument outside the County Court asserts that a battle took place here at this time between Cæsar’s forces and Cassivellaunus.
Brentford is a suburban town in West London, England, and part of the London Borough of Hounslow. It lies at the confluence of the River Brent and the Thames, 8 miles west of Charing Cross. Historically part of Middlesex, it has formed part of Greater London since 1965. Its economy has diverse company headquarters buildings which mark the start of the M4 corridor.
In transport it also has two railway stations and Boston Manor Underground station on its north-west border with Hanwell. Brentford has a convenient shopping and dining venue grid of streets at its center. Brentford at the start of the 21st century attracted regeneration of its little-used warehouse premises and docks including the re-modeling of the waterfront to provide more economically active shops.