Facts about Southall
Southall formed part of the chapelry of Norwood in the ancient parish of Hayes, in the Elthorne hundred of the historic county of Middlesex. For Poor Law, it was grouped into the Uxbridge Union and was within Uxbridge Rural Sanitary District from 1875. The chapelry of Norwood had functioned as a separate parish since the Middle Ages.
In 1936 the urban district was granted a charter of incorporation and became a municipal borough, renamed Southall. In 1965 the former area of the borough was merged with that of the boroughs of Ealing and Acton to form the London Borough of Ealing in Greater London. The southern part of Southall used to be known as either Old Southall or Southall Green and was centered on the historic Grade II* listed Tudor-styled Manor House which dates back to at least 1587.
Southall is a large suburban district of west London, England, part of the London Borough of Ealing and is one of its seven major towns. It is generally divided into three parts: the mostly residential area around Lady Margaret Road; the main commercial center at High Street and Southall Broadway; and Old Southall/Southall Green to the south consisting of Southall railway station, industries, and Norwood Green bounded by the M4.
It was historically a municipal borough of Middlesex administered from Southall Town Hall until 1965. Southall is located on the Grand Union Canal which first linked London with the rest of the growing canal system. It was one of the last canals to carry significant commercial traffic and is still open to traffic and is used by pleasure craft.