Facts about Harrow
History of Harrow
By 1865, a series of roads had been built in Greenhill, including College, Roxborough, Kymberley, Headstone, Clarendon, Byron and St Anns – but few houses. A parish church, St John’s Church, was built in 1866 on a farm and Greenhill became a separate parish in 1896. The church building has been Grade II listed since 1994.
Historically in Middlesex, Harrow was a municipal borough before it became a part of Greater London in 1965. The modern town of Harrow is what was historically called Greenhill, a former hamlet at the foot of the 408 feet Harrow Hill settlement. With the arrival of the Metropolitan Railway in the 19th century, the centre of Harrow moved to Greenhill and it grew as the unofficial “capital” of the Metroland suburbia in the early 20th century.
Harrow is a large town in Greater London, England and serves as the principal settlement of the London Borough of Harrow. Lying about 10.5 miles northwest of Charing Cross and 5.4 miles south of Watford, the entire town including its localities had a population of 149,246 as of the 2011 census, whereas the wider borough had a population of 250,149.
Harlington Library is towards the north of the village/district. The village contains six public houses: Captain Morgans’, The Great Western, The Pheasant, The Red Lion, The Wheatsheaf, and The White Hart. There are two churches, a Baptist church and a Church of England church, St Peter & St Paul’s. Schools include Harlington School.