Facts about Whetstone
In medieval times the Hospitallers had a settlement nearby in Friern Barnet probably where Friary Park is now and alongside the old road to London. In 1340 the Bishop of London opened a gate into his park which enabled a straight road across Finchley Common along the ridge there. The Hospitallers’ settlement moved further west and became known as West Town, also known variously as “le Weston”, “Wheston”, and “Whetstonestret”.
Until the late 19th century its tiny developed area was one of two main settlements in the ancient parish of Friern Barnet, the other being Colney Hatch. Friern Barnet remained its ecclesiastical parish and its civil form was at that time giving way to urban and rural districts, in this case, Friern Barnet Urban District.
Whetstone is a place in the London Borough of Barnet, bearing the postcode N20. It is to the east of Totteridge, and these areas are known together as Totteridge and Whetstone. This combined area was at the outset of the 21st century found to be the 63rd-richest of the more than 9,000 wards of the United Kingdom.
The High Road, the main road in the area, is the A1000 and part of the traditional Great North Road from London to Edinburgh. Until the late 19th century its tiny developed area was one of two main settlements in the ancient parish of Friern Barnet, the other being Colney Hatch. It was thus the northernmost settlement in the Ossulstone hundred.