Facts about Brent Cross
Brent Cross History
“Brent Cross” was originally the name of a crossroads in the vicinity of the current Brent Cross Flyover. By 1944, the term was being used to describe addresses north of the A406 North Circular Road and west of the A41 Hendon Way and after the eponymous shopping center was built it was also used to describe business addresses south of the North Circular.
Previously the area had been known as Renters Farm, a name dating from 1309, and it remained largely farmland until the nineteenth century. In the late nineteenth century, a sewage work was built there and Hendon Greyhound Stadium stood there from 1935 to 1972. In 1976 the Brent Cross Shopping Centre was opened, the first stand-alone shopping center to be built in the United Kingdom.
Brent Cross is originally the name of crossroads that today forms an interchange and a major place for road traffic in the London Borough of Barnet, England. Located a mile from the centers of Hendon and Golders Green, the area also contains the Brent Cross Shopping Centre, a major retail facility which opened in 1976, as well as Brent South Shopping Park opposite of it.
The “Brent Cross Flyover” A41 runs to the east of the shopping center over the A406 North Circular Road, while the M1 motorway and A5 Edgware Road are to the west at Staples Corner interchange. In addition, the Northern line and Thameslink rail routes run on viaducts. The River Brent passes through the area, flowing from east to west in a man-made channel.