Facts about Stamford Hill
Stamford Hill History
By the 18th century, the Roman road was subject to heavy traffic, including goods wagons pulled by six or more horses, and this caused the surface of the road to deteriorate. The local parishes appealed to Parliament in 1713 for the right to set up a Turnpike Trust, to pay for repairs and maintenance. Gates were installed at Kingsland and Stamford Hill, to collect the tolls.
Stamford Hill had a gibbet, that was used to display the remains of criminals, executed at Tyburn in the 1740s. In 1765, a map of the area showed the Gibbet Field south of the road from Clapton Common, behind Cedar House. The area remained essentially rural in character, and little more was built until the arrival of the railway in 1872, and the tram system at about the same time.
Stamford Hill is an area in Inner London, England, located about 5.5 miles north-east of Charing Cross. The neighborhood is a sub-district of Hackney, the major component of the London Borough of Hackney, and is known for its Hasidic community, the largest concentration of Hasidic Jews in Europe.
The hill is believed to be named after the ford where the A10 crossed the Hackney Brook on the southern edge of the hill. Sanford and Saundfordhill are referred to in documents from the 1200s, and mean “sand Ford”. Roque’s map of 1745 shows a bridge, which replaced the ford, referred to as “Stamford Bridge”.