Facts about Wood Green
Wood Green History
Up to the nineteenth century, Wood Green came under the governance of the Manor and Parish of Tottenham. Tottenham developed from a parish in Middlesex into an Urban sanitary district in 1875, after a local board of health had been established in 1850. In 1888, the Municipal Borough of Wood Green was created as an urban district, and later a municipal borough, of Middlesex.
With the reorganization of local government in the 1960s, Haringey Council was formed from the former boroughs of Wood Green, Hornsey, and Tottenham. The new unified administration wanted to reinvent Wood Green as a ‘Heart for Haringey’. It was one of a number of new suburban centers intended to counteract the pull of Central London. The Shopping City was constructed between 1976 and 1981.
Wood Green is a suburban district in the borough of Haringey in London, England. Its postal district is N22, with parts in N8 or N15. The London Plan identifies it as one of the metropolitan centers in Greater London, and today it forms a major commercial district of North London. Haringey Civic Centre on Wood Green High Road is the official seat of the London Borough of Haringey and contains the council chambers.
Formerly lying within the western part of Tottenham and within the county of Middlesex, it became part of both Haringey and Greater London in 1965. Wood Green lies directly to the east of Alexandra Palace. It is 6.5 miles from Charing Cross in central London. Behind the high street, Wood Green’s streets include a high proportion of attractive high-quality Victorian houses.