Facts about Harringay
In the Ice Age Harringay was on the edge of a huge glacial mass that reached as far south as Muswell Hill. The area was then largely covered with forest until the Middle Ages when it was developed as agricultural land. From 1750 to 1880 Harringay experienced the pressures of the burgeoning population in London. Gradually inroads into the pastoral landscape were made, first for the leisure and then for the settlement of Londoners.
The name “Harringay” has its origin in the Saxon period and is derived from the name of a Saxon chieftain called Haering. Haering’s Hege meant Haering’s enclosure. The earliest written form of the name was recorded as Harenhg’ in about 1195. Its development thereafter gave rise to the modern-day names of Harringay, the London Borough of Haringey and Hornsey.
Harringay is a district of north London, England, within the London Borough of Haringey. It is centered on the section of Green Lanes running between the New River, where it crosses Green Lanes by Finsbury Park, and Duckett’s Common, near Turnpike Lane. Harringay’s main shopping street, Green Lanes, is a busy, cosmopolitan high street. Some shops have a long-established presence.
Towards the southern end stands the well-preserved, Victoriana-laden ‘Beaconsfield’ public house. Opposite is the Arena Shopping Park which contains a handful of national multiples outlets, a Sainsbury’s supermarket, and one of Britain’s first “drive-thru” McDonald’s restaurants. A large section of the eastern side of Green Lanes is called Grand Parade.