Facts about Crouch End
Crouch End facts
Crouch End was the junction of four locally important roads. A wooden cross was erected at the junction of these roads, roughly where the Clock Tower now stands, and a small settlement developed around it. Crouch End developed as an early center of cultivation for Hornsey, and was where the farmsteads seem to have been grouped.
From the later part of the eighteenth century, Crouch End, along with most of Hornsey, became home to wealthy London merchants seeking refuge from the City. However, the area remained rural in character until around 1880. The development of the railway changed the area significantly. By 1887 there were seven railway stations in the area.
Crouch End is an area of North London, approximately five miles from the City of London in the western half of the borough of Haringey. It is within the Hornsey postal district. Crouch End lies between Harringay to the east; Hornsey, Muswell Hill and Wood Green to the north; Stroud Green and Archway to the south; and Highgate to the west.
The name Crouch End is derived from Middle English. A “crouch” meant cross, while the “end” referred to an outlying area. Some think that this refers to the borders of the parish, in other words, the area where the influence of the parish ends. Its name has been recorded as Crouchend, Crowchende, the Crouche Ende, and Crutche Ende. In 1593, it was recorded as “Cruch End”.