Facts about Golders Green
Golders Green History
Golders Green has been a place in the parish and manor of Hendon since around the 13th century. The earliest references to the name of the adjacent district of “Temple Fortune” is on a map. However, this name reveals a much earlier history. It is likely that the name refers to the Knights of St John, who had landed here. Fortune may be derived from a small settlement on the route from Hampstead to Hendon.
In 1895 a Jewish cemetery was established adjacent to Hoop Lane, with the first burial in 1897. Golders Green Crematorium was opened in 1902. A significant moment in Temple Fortune’s development into a suburban area occurred in 1907 when transport links were vastly improved by the opening of Golders Green Underground station.
Golders Green is an area in the London Borough of Barnet in England. A smaller suburban linear settlement, near a farm and public grazing area green of medieval origins, dates to the early 19th century. Its bulk forms a late 19th-century and early 20th-century suburb with a commercial crossroads. It is centered approximately 6 miles northwest of Charing Cross on the intersection of Golders Green Road and Finchley Road.
The parish was heavily superseded by Hendon Urban District in 1894 and by the Municipal Borough of Hendon in 1932, abolished in 1965. In the early 20th century it grew rapidly in response to the opening of a tube station of the London Underground, adjacent to the Golders Green Hippodrome which was home to the BBC Concert Orchestra for many years.