Facts about Friern Barnet
Friern Barnet History
Friern Barnet was an ancient parish in the Finsbury division of Ossulstone hundred, in the county of Middlesex. The area was originally considered to be part of Barnet, most of which was in Hertfordshire. By the 13th century the Middlesex section of Barnet was known as Little Barnet, before becoming Frerenbarnet and then Friern Barnet.
Friern Barnet was mainly rural until the 19th century. The opening of Colney Hatch paupers’ lunatic asylum in 1851, and of railway stations on the Great Northern and Metropolitan Railways. Also in the mid-19th century, prompted its development as an outer London suburb. This process was accelerated by the arrival of electric trams in the 1900s.
Friern Barnet is a suburban area within the London Borough of Barnet, 7.4 miles north of Charing Cross. Its center is formed by the busy intersection of Colney Hatch Lane, Woodhouse Road, and Friern Barnet Road. The housing typically consists of late Victorian and early Edwardian properties. Along with other large houses of later periods and much smaller semi-detached and terraced houses.
Adjacent to Princess Park Manor is a modern housing development called Friern Village. This was once the area farmed by the Colney Hatch Hospital residents. In 1998 the newly formed local residents’ association held a ballot among the new residents to find a name for this new area. The name Friern Village was chosen and subsequently, the resident’s association changed its name to the Friern Village Residents’ Association.