Facts about Dalston
John Rocque’s map of 1746 shows the village of Kingsland centered on the crossroads at what is now Dalston Junction and the small village of Dalston further east along Dalston Lane. Another clear feature is Roman Ermine Street which now forms most of the western boundary of this area. Ermine Street now has the road number A10 and goes by a number of names, including Kingsland Road as it travels through London.
During the 18th and 19th centuries the area changed from an agricultural and rural landscape to an urban one. By 1849, it was described as a recently increased suburban village, with some handsome old houses, and by 1859 the village had exceeded its neighbor and, with the railways and continuous building, the village of Kingsland disappeared.
Dalston is an area of East London, in the London Borough of Hackney. It is 4 miles north-east of Charing Cross. Dalston began as a hamlet on either side of Dalston Lane, and as the area urbanized the term also came to apply to surrounding areas including Kingsland and Shacklewell, all three of which being part of the Ancient Parish of Hackney.
The area has experienced a high degree of gentrification in recent years, a process accelerated by the East London line extension, now part of London Overground, and the reopening of Dalston Junction railway station, part of London’s successful bid to host the 2012 Olympics.