Facts about Swiss Cottage
Swiss Cottage History
According to the Dictionary of London Place Names, the district is named after an inn called The Swiss Tavern that was built in 1804 in the style of a Swiss chalet on the site of a former tollgate keeper’s cottage, and later renamed Swiss Inn and in the early 20th century Swiss Cottage.
The district formed part of the ancient parish of Hampstead. It developed following the Finchley Road Act 1826, which authorized the construction of Finchley New Road and Avenue Road, with The Swiss Tavern built at the junction of the new roads. The neighborhood around Finchley Road and Avenue Road was redeveloped in 1937 and 1938 with the opening of an Odeon cinema and the Regency Lodge flats.
Swiss Cottage is an area of Hampstead in the London Borough of Camden, England. It is centered on the junction of Avenue Road and Finchley Road and includes Swiss Cottage tube station. Swiss Cottage lies 3.25 miles north-northwest of Charing Cross. The area was named after a public house in the center of it, known as “Ye Olde Swiss Cottage”.
Swiss Cottage is in the Hampstead and Kilburn constituency, formed at the 2010 general election. It was formerly in the Hampstead and Highgate constituency, for which the MP was Glenda Jackson. It forms part of the Barnet and Camden London Assembly constituency. There is a Swiss Cottage electoral ward, electing councilors to Camden London Borough Council.