Facts about Tufnell Park
Tufnell Park History
There is no evidence of Roman activity in the area and a supposed Roman camp marked on Dent’s 1805 parish map has been shown by the Museum of London Archaeology excavations to probably be a misidentified medieval moated site. The road has for centuries been an east-west connector between the roads from the hearts of Islington and Camden which converge into a major northern route.
The road which Tufnell Park Road links have been greatly alleviated from sole principal status by diverting in the 20th century the A1 through Edgware where the M1 also runs instead of its old route through High Barnet, converging the route with the straighter A41 road from Marylebone.
Tufnell Park is an area in north London, England in the London Borough of Islington and London Borough of Camden. Its existence as a district or neighborhood in Inner London is consolidated by its tube station on the Northern Line which, non-exclusively, serves this area of former farmland last owned by a wealthy branch of the Tufnell family before its development.
Tufnell Park Football Club was a football club based immediately south of the overground railway, where Tufnell Park Playing Fields and a playground are today. One of the top amateur clubs in the country in the early 20th century, it merged in 1950 into Edmonton F.C., in turn merging in 1973 into Haringey Borough F.C. based at Coles Park, Tottenham.