Facts about Southgate
Southgate was originally the South Gate of Enfield Chase, the King’s hunting grounds. This is reflected in the street names Chase Road and Chase Side. There is a blue plaque on a building on the site of the south gate. A little further to the south was another small medieval settlement called South Street which had grown up around a village green; by 1829 the two settlements had merged and the village green became today’s Southgate Green.
In 1894 an urban district of Middlesex, called Southgate, was created by the Local Government Act 1894. In 1933 the Municipal Borough of Southgate was created. The borough was abolished in 1965 by the London Government Act 1963, and incorporated within the new London Borough of Enfield, also including the areas that had been within the Municipal Borough of Enfield and the Municipal Borough of Edmonton.
Southgate is a suburban area of north London, England in the London Borough of Enfield. It is located around 8 miles north of Charing Cross. The name is derived from being the south gate to Enfield Chase. Within the area is the art deco Grade II* Southgate tube station designed by Charles Holden.
In Waterfall Road is Christ Church, built-in 1862 by Sir Gilbert Scott; adjacent to its grounds, in Minchenden Oak Garden, stands the Minchenden Oak. Across the road from the church lies the Walker Cricket Ground; a regular Middlesex venue which was first used in 1859 and is named after the cricketer John Walker.