Facts about Wallington
The name “Wallington” derives from the Anglo Saxon “Waletone”, meaning “village of the Britons”. Wallington appears in Domesday Book of 1086 and was held by William the Conqueror. Its Domesday assets were: 11 hides. It had 2 mills worth £1 10s 0d, 11 ploughs, 8 acres of meadow. It rendered £10. The historic village was situated somewhat to the north of the current town centre around what is now Wallington Bridge over the River Wandle.
What was then called “Carshalton” railway station was opened in 1847 in the open fields to the south of Wallington because the owner of Carshalton Park objected to it being built near to Carshalton village. This acted as a spur to the development of the area and in the 1860s Nathaniel Bridges created a prestigious housing estate of gothic revival villas.
Wallington is a town, in the London Borough of Sutton, in South London, England. It is 9.7 miles south south-west of Charing Cross. Before the Municipal Borough of Beddington and Wallington merged into the London Borough of Sutton in Greater London in 1965, it was part of the county of Surrey. Wallington is a post town in the SM postcode area.
Since 2007 new retailers have opened in Wallington, including Tesco Express, the upmarket ‘Antic’ pub chain and Caffè Nero. These were in addition to existing retailers including Sainsbury’s, Boots, W.H. Smith, Dorothy Perkins and Pizza Express, banks, estate agencies and building societies.