Facts about Sutton
Archaeological finds in the region date back thousands of years, including the excavation of a Roman villa in Beddington. An implement from the neolithic age was found in Sutton town center. The Roman road of Stane Street formed part of the northern boundary of the parish.
Sutton was recorded as Sudtone in a charter of Chertsey Abbey believed to date from the late 7th century, when the Manor was granted to the Abbot of Chertsey by Frithwald, Governor of Surrey. Some sources state the name as Suthtone or Sudtana. The 1086 Domesday Book records Sutton as spanning about 800 acres and having about 30 houses and 200 people. It states that the Abbot of Chertsey held the manor. In 1538 it was sold to King Henry VIII and granted to Sir Nicholas Carew of Beddington.
Sutton is the principal town of the eponymous London Borough of Sutton in South London, England. It lies on the lower slopes of the North Downs and is the administrative headquarters of the Outer London borough. It is 10 miles south-southwest of Charing Cross and is one of the thirteen metropolitan centers in the London Plan. The population of the town was counted as 41,483 in the 2011 census, while the borough overall counted 204,525.
An ancient parish originally in the county of Surrey, Sutton is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as having two churches and about 30 houses. Its location on the London to Brighton turnpike from 1755 led to the opening of coaching inns, spurring its growth as a village. When it was connected to central London by rail in 1847, it began to grow into a town, and it expanded further in the 20th century.