Facts about Furzedown
The western part was in the parish of Tooting and part of the Seely estate, comprising 80 acres and 100 acres. Part of the estate adjacent to Tooting Junction Railway Station became available in 1892 and was developed as the Furzedown golf course, designed by Tom Dunn. The Seely estate was sold at the beginning of the twentieth century and the golf club moved to South Lodge, Mitcham Common in 1906.
In November 2017, Arthur Tingle, who was then nine years old, began a project at Penwortham School. Using Furzedown’s online community network, he contacted the businesses on Moyser Road and local residents to ask about what the shops had been in the past, and people’s memories of shopping in them. During 2019, local photographer Alan Weller and Martin Beaver contacted the people that Arthur had contacted – and more.
Furzedown is a ward, in both the districts of Streatham and Tooting, wholly in the Tooting Parliamentary Constituency, within the London Borough of Wandsworth in South West London. It is a mainly residential area bordering Tooting Commons, which provide a large open space including Tooting Bec Lido.
Besides containing Furzedown halls of Residence, a part of the University of the Arts London, it contains Graveney Secondary School, and Goldfinch formerly Eardley School, Furzedown and Penwortham Primary Schools.