Facts about Addiscombe
First mentioned in the 13th century, Addiscombe formed part of Croydon Manor and was known as enclosed land belonging to Eadda. The area was a rural and heavily wooded area, remaining so until the late 19th century. Its main industries were farming and brick-making, clay deposits at Woodside providing the raw materials for the latter.
After the death of Sir Purbeck in 1695 and his wife Dame Sarah Temple in 1700, the estate passed to Dame Sarah’s nephew, William Draper, who was married to the daughter of the famous diarist, John Evelyn. When Draper died in 1718, he left his estate to his son of the same name and it then passed to his nephew, Charles Clark.
Addiscombe is an area of south London, England, within the London Borough of Croydon and the historic county of Surrey. It is located 9.1 miles south of Charing Cross, and is situated north of Coombe and Selsdon, east of Croydon town center, south of Woodside, and west of Shirley.
Addiscombe as a place name is thought to be Anglo-Saxon in origin, meaning “Eadda or Æddi’s estate”, from an Anglo-Saxon personal name, and the word camp, meaning an enclosed area in Old English. The same Anglo-Saxon land-owner may have given his name to Addington, around two miles to the south.