Facts about Norbury
For most of its history Norbury was rural countryside through which the London to Brighton Way Roman road passed. At Hepworth Road, the intact road, 32 feet wide, was excavated in 1961. Remnants of a metalled ford across the stream were found further south at Hermitage Bridge on the River Graveney which forms part of the boundary between Norbury and Streatham, before flowing on to the River Wandle, then the River Thames.
By the early thirteenth century, Norbury was a sub-manor within the chief manor of Croydon. The first recorded mention of Norbury Manor was in 1229 when Peter de Bendings conveyed the Manor to John de Kemsing and his wife Idonea and is referred to as the “lands stretching out either side of the London Road”.
Norbury is a district in south-west London. It shares the postcode London SW16 with neighboring districts Streatham and Croydon. Norbury is 6.7 miles south of Charing Cross. The name Norbury derives from North Burh. Some local histories note that this was due to Norbury’s position on the northern boundary of the former Manor of Croydon.
Others state that it takes its name from a split in the borough of Bensham, one of the former seven boroughs of Croydon. “Northbenchesham” became the Northborough, then Norbury; “Southbenchesham” later became Thornton Heath.