Facts about New Malden
New Malden History
Building started slowly in the area just to the north of the station, gathering pace in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries with two- and three-bedroom terraced houses. Further out towards Coombe Hill are larger detached and semi-detached houses from the 1930s. The name of the road which leads up the hill to Coombe, Traps Lane, is thought to derive from a farm owned by a Mrs Trap.
Following the opening of the Kingston bypass in 1927, the farms to its south progressively gave way to suburban development. Under the District Councils Act 1895, The Maldens & Coombe Urban District Council was created. In 1936 Malden and Coombe was granted full Borough status, with its own Mayor, and had the rare distinction of a civic mace bearing the royal insignia of King Edward VIII.
A suburb of south-west London, England. It is located mainly within the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames, with a small part in the London Borough of Merton, and is 9.4 miles from Charing Cross. Part of the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames, a London borough. New Malden was once part of the historic county of Surrey.
New Malden has its own youth theatre, the Green Theatre Company, established in 1986 in a converted cricket pavilion at Barton Green. The area’s last surviving cinema, the Odeon at Shannon Corner on the A3 was replaced by a large retail area including several large stores. The other cinema in the High Street burnt down on Boxing Day 1936. There was also a silent cinema on Coombe Road by the station, which became the New Malden Gentlemen’s Club in 1923.