Facts about Norwood
Norwood Green is the modern name for the old hamlet called Norwood in the manor of Norwood; this name, in turn, derives from the Saxon settlement name recorded in contemporary orthography Northuuda which suggests a different final syllable, at least in some modes or among some speakers.
In 1894, under the Local Government Act 1894, Norwood Green formed part of the Southall Norwood Urban District of Middlesex. The urban district gained further status as a municipal borough in 1936 and was renamed Southall. When the municipal borough was abolished in 1965, under the London Government Act 1963, the area became part of the London Borough of Ealing.
Norwood Green is a place in the London Borough of Ealing in London, England, that forms the southern part of Southall. It is a suburban development centered 10.7 miles west of Charing Cross and 4 miles ENE of Heathrow Airport. Its origin coincides with the 12th century arch in its chapel, the date when it is first recorded.
Reflecting its mid-19th century agrarian nature it remained below church status in Hayes parish until 1859. It often lends its name to an electoral ward of around 12,500 people. It today forms the southern part of larger Southall, named after the main manor which lay in the north of its area which is south of Northolt parish.