Facts about Poplar
Historically, Old Ford was a cluster of houses and a mill, around the ford. It formed a part of the Ancient Parish of Stepney. Together with the rest of Bow, it separated from Stepney to become an Ancient Parish of Bow in 1719. Ancient Parishes were, until the 19th century responsible for both civil and ecclesiastical local administration. After that, there were divergent civil and ecclesiastical parish areas.
Poplar includes Poplar Baths, Blackwall Yard and Trinity Buoy Wharf and the locality of Blackwall. Originally part of the ancient parish of Stepney, Poplar became a civil parish in 1817. In 1855, Poplar joined with neighbouring Bromley and Bow to form the Poplar District of the Metropolis.
Poplar is a district in East London, England, the administrative centre of the borough of Tower Hamlets. Five miles east of Charing Cross, it is part of the East End. It is identified as a major district centre in the London Plan. With its district centre being Chrisp Street Market. S significant commercial and retail centre surrounded by extensive residential development.
In 1654, as the population of the hamlet began to grow. East India Company ceded a piece of land upon which to build a chapel and this became the nucleus of the settlement. St Matthias Old Church is located on Poplar High Street, opposite Tower Hamlets College. In 1921, the Metropolitan Borough of Poplar was the location of the Poplar Rates Rebellion. Led by then-Mayor George Lansbury.