Facts about New Charlton
New Charlton History
Industrial development on the flat land adjoining the Thames at Charlton Riverside began in the middle of the 19th century, especially after the opening of a private railway branch line to Angerstein Wharf in 1852. A notable establishment was the Siemens Brothers Telegraph Works opened in 1863. The company manufactured two new transatlantic cables in the 1880s and contributed to the PLUTO project in World War II.
There have been several regeneration projects in the area, starting in the 1980s, after the opening of the Thames Barrier. It was identified as part of an Opportunity Area by the Mayor of London in 2008 and, more clearly, in the London Plan of 2011. Regeneration of the area is now focused on the Charlton Riverside Masterplan agreed by the Royal Borough of Greenwich in April 2012 and updated in February 2017.
Charlton Riverside, previously known as New Charlton, is the area along the south bank of the River Thames at Charlton, London, which forms part of the Royal Borough of Greenwich. It was formerly a primarily industrial zone, known for the glass and rope-making industries, but is now an area of regeneration.
The area formerly known as New Charlton is situated in the Greenwich wards of Peninsula and Woolwich Riverside. It is bounded by the River Thames in the north and the A206 in the south. On the west, it borders the Greenwich Peninsula at Horn Lane and Horn Link Way. On the east, it borders Woolwich at the Thames Barrier and Eastmoor Street.