Facts about Blackwall
The area was historically part of the parish of Poplar in Middlesex. The area lay in a sheltered loop of the river next to Poplar’s East Marsh, where the East India Docks were constructed at the beginning of the 19th century. Blackwall area has never had its own Anglican church, so services such as road maintenance were organized by a vestry, and for poor relief, it relied on its ecclesiastical parish Poplar.
Leamouth Wharf (then part of Blackwall) was associated with the Samuda Brothers, Orchard House Yard, and Thames Iron Works shipyards which were the centers of employment. To provide housing for the workers, 100 small cottages – were developed from the 1820s.
Blackwall is a locale in East London, located in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It includes Leamouth and the conservation area of Coldharbour. The area takes its name from a historic stretch of riverside wall built along an outside curve of the Thames. To protect the area from flooding. While mostly residential, Blackwall Yard here provides moorings for vessels.
Blackwall was a significant part of the ocean-going port called the Port of London, connected with important voyages for over 400 years. On 7 June 1576, financed by the Muscovy Company, Martin Frobisher set sail from Blackwall, seeking the northwest Passage.