Facts about Barking
By the late 1100s, the huge Manor of Barking was served by two Ancient Parishes, Barking and Dagenham. This reversed the usual situation where a parish would serve one or more manors. As with other manors, the area held by the declined over time, but the parish boundaries based on its former extent remained constant.
The parish became Barking Town Urban District in 1894 and the local board became an urban district council. The urban district was incorporated as the Municipal Borough of Barking in 1931. It was abolished in 1965 and split, with the majority merged with the former area of the Municipal Borough of Dagenham to form the London Borough of Barking.
Barking is a district of East London and the administrative center of the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, with a population of 59,068. It is 9.3 miles east northeast of Charing Cross. It was historically an ancient parish in the county of Essex that straddled the River Roding. The Area underwent a shift from fishing and farming to market gardening and industrial development on the River Thames.
As part of the suburban growth of London in the 20th century, Barking significantly expanded and increased in population, primarily due to the development of the London County Council estate at Becontree in the 1920s, and became a municipal borough in 1931, and part of Greater London in 1965.