Facts about Bethnal Green
Bethnal Green History
Bethnal Green was a smaller set of homesteads and cottages, a hamlet in the fertile fields of the ancient parish of Stepney, but as population and house-building began local intensification in the 18th century, the church agreed to found a fully-functional daughter church — as a parish with benefice and vestry in 1743.
In what would become northern Bethnal Green a tract of common land, which stretched to the east and west, belonged to the old Stepney Manor to the south. The heath was used as a pasture where people grazed their sheep in the 13th century, though 1275 records suggest at least one house stood there.
Bethnal Green is an area in the East End of London 1 mile northeast of Liverpool Street station. It has two Overground stations and one Underground station. It currently also gives its name to an electoral ward of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and co-encompasses St Peter’s ward. The area emerged from the hamlet which developed around the Green.
Much of which survives today as Bethnal Green Gardens, beside Cambridge Heath Road. The economic focus has shifted from mainstream farming produce for the City of London. Through highly perishable goods production, weaving, dock, and building work and light industry. To a high proportion of commuters to city businesses. Public sector/care sector roles, construction, courier businesses, and home-working digital and creative industries.