Facts about Millwall
Millwall is a smaller area of land than an average parish, as it was part of Poplar until the 19th century when it became heavily industrialized, containing the workplaces and homes of a few thousand dockside and shipbuilding workers. Among its factories were the shipbuilding ironworks of William Fairbairn, much of which survives as today’s Burrells Wharf. It was in this era also that Millwall F.C. was founded, in 1885, as Millwall Rovers.
Originally known as Marshwall, the area acquired its new name with its breakaway from its former parish of Poplar. The replacement was due to the large number of windmills built on the river wall in the 19th century. Improvements led by the Lord Mayor William Cubitt in reinforcing the land solved the periodic flooding caused by major snowmelt and spring tides.
Millwall is a district on the western and southern side of the Isle of Dogs, in east London, England, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It lies to the immediate south of Canary Wharf and Limehouse, north of Greenwich and Deptford, east of Rotherhithe, west of Cubitt Town, and has a long shoreline along London’s Tideway, part of the River Thames.
In September 2004, Tower Hamlets’ Respect party fought its second council election in the borough, standing local activist Paul McGarr. In this previously ‘solid’ Labour seat, Labour was pushed into third place, and the local Conservative party took its first-ever seat on Tower Hamlets council.