Facts about Canary Wharf
Canary Wharf History
From 1802 to the late 1980s, what would become the Canary Wharf Estate was a part of the Isle of Dogs, Limehouse, and Poplar and was one of the busiest docks in the world. After the 1960s, the port industry began to decline, leading to all the docks being closed by 1980. West India Docks was primarily developed by Robert Milligan who set up the West India Dock Company.
Canary Wharf itself takes its name from No. 32 berths of the West Wood Quay of the Import Dock. This was built in 1936 for Fruit Lines Ltd, a subsidiary of Fred Olsen Lines for the Mediterranean and Canary Islands fruit trade. The Canary islands were so named after the large dogs found there by the Spanish and as it is located on the Isle of Dogs, the quay and warehouse were given the name Canary Wharf.
Canary Wharf is the second central business district of London on the Isle of Dogs. Along with the City of London, it is one of the main financial centers of the United Kingdom and the world. Containing many of their tallest buildings, including the third-tallest in the UK, One Canada Square.
Canary Wharf is 97 acres and contains around 16,000,000 square feet of office and retail space. It comprises many open areas, including Canada Square, Cabot Square, and Westferry Circus. Together with Heron Quays and Wood Wharf, it forms the Canary Wharf Estate.