Facts about Wetherby
Wetherby is a market town and civil parish in the City of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is close to West Yorkshire county’s border with North Yorkshire, and lies approximately 12 miles (19 kilometres) from Leeds City Centre, 12 mi (19 km) from York and 8 mi (13 km) from Harrogate. The town stands on the River Wharfe, and for centuries has been a crossing place and staging post on the Great North Road midway between London and Edinburgh.
Wetherby Bridge, which spans the River Wharfe, is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Grade II listed structure. The course of the Old Great North Road passes through the town and, as result of its situation on the road, as well as being a major cattle droving route from Scotland to London, many coaching inns were established in Wetherby which are still used by travellers today.
Historically, Wetherby was a part of the Claro Wapentake (as part of the parish of Spofforth) within the West Riding of Yorkshire.
In the 12th and 13th centuries the Knights Templar and later the Knights Hospitallers were granted land and properties in Yorkshire. The local preceptory founded in 1217 was at Ribston Park. In 1240 the Knights Templar were granted by Royal Charter of Henry III the right to hold a market in Wetherby (known then as Werreby) on Thursdays and a yearly fair was permitted lasting three days over the day of St James the Apostle.