Facts about Baildon
Baildon is a town and civil parish in the Bradford Metropolitan Borough in West Yorkshire, England and within the historic boundaries of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
It lies 3 miles (5 km) north of Bradford city centre. The town forms a continuous urban area with Shipley and Bradford, and is part of the West Yorkshire Built Up Area. Other nearby suburbs include Shipley to the south and Saltaire to the west. As of the 2011 census, the Baildon ward has a population of 15,360.
Baildon is known to have been inhabited for many centuries; several cup-and-ring stones on Baildon Moor has shown evidence of Bronze Age inhabitation. Baildon Moor has a number of gritstone outcrops with numerous prehistoric cup and ring marks. A denuded and mutilated bank represents the remains of an Iron Age settlement known as Soldier’s Trench, sometimes mistaken for a Bronze Age stone circle. A Bronze Age cup-marked rock is incorporated in the bank.
Baildon is recorded as Beldone and Beldune in the Domesday Book. In 1066 it belonged to a Gospatric, son of Arnketil, and had passed to Erneis of Buron by 1086.
Baildon had two manor houses: one on Hall Cliffe, the other in lower Baildon. In the 1960s, the Hall Cliffe house was demolished and replaced with the Ian Clough Hall.