Facts about Eastwood
Eastwood took its name from its situation on the eastern side of the woods and parkland of Rayleigh and Thundersley which were part of the Great Forest of Essex. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as “Estwa”, and was held by Swain of Essex, whose father Robert had held it during the reign of Edward the Confessor. In the 13th century, the English Kings would often visit the district for hunting, making Hadleigh Castle their residence.
Henry VIII was the last king known to have hunted here and Eastwood Lodge was the centre of the last reserved portion of hunting land. In 1536, during the Reformation, the Manor was given by Edward VI to Lord Rich whose descendants became Earls of Warwick, then by marriage, it passed to the Earl of Nottingham. The Bristow family purchased the estate and held it until 1866 when it was sold in lots: “Eastwoodbury”, the large house which stood immediately to the east of the Church, was on the site of the original Manor house and was demolished in 1954.
Eastwood is a town four miles west of Southend-on-Sea in Essex, England. It is a suburb of Southend and part of the Southend-on-Sea unitary district. Eastwood is sometimes called Eastwood Park, particularly for local elections. It is bordered by Rayleigh to the west, Rochford to the north-east, and Belfairs, part of Leigh-on-Sea, to the south. To the north lies Edwards Hall Park, a large area of open countryside, part of which is farmland. This green space extends all the way to Hockley Woods, and Hockley.
There are also several play parks throughout Eastwood. Eastwood has good bus links to both Southend and the surrounding areas, with popular services including Arriva Southend’s route 9 service, and First Essex’s route 20 service. The nearby Southend Airport operates a range of European passenger flights. There are currently no buses connecting the north side of Eastwood with the south side and its administrative town of Leigh-on-Sea.