Facts about Basildon
Where is Basildon
Basildon is the largest town in the borough of Basildon in the county of Essex, England. It lies 26 miles (42 km) east of Central London, 11 miles (18 km) south of the city of Chelmsford and 10 miles (16 km) west of Southend-on-Sea. Nearby smaller towns include Billericay to the northwest, Wickford northeast and South Benfleet to the southeast. It was created as a new town after World War II in 1948 to accommodate the London population overspill, from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon (the most central of the four) and Vange.
The first historical reference to Basildon is in records from 1086. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book as ‘Belesduna’. The name ‘Basildon’ may be derived from the Anglo-Saxon personal name ‘Boerthal’ and the Anglo-Saxon word ‘dun’, meaning hill. In historical documents, this name had various forms over the centuries, including Berdlesdon, Batlesdon and Belesduna. Railway service started in the 19th century to Pitsea and Laindon but it was only later that proposals to provide service to the new town of Basildon, shelved for many years because of concerns that it would simply become a commuter suburb of London, were eventually forced through. A significant number of modern-day residents do commute to London.
In the 1940s, Billericay Urban District Council and Essex County Council, concerned by lack of amenities in the area and by its development, petitioned the Government to create a New Town. Basildon was one of eight ‘New Towns’ created in the South East of England after the passing of the New Towns Act. On 4 January 1949 Lewis Silkin, Minister of Town and Country Planning, officially designated Basildon as a ‘New Town’. Basildon Development Corporation was formed in February 1949 to transform the designated area into a modern new town.